Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From the Compassion Over Killing website. I plan on modifying this recipe in the future, but this was my first attempt!
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1⁄2 cup water-packed roasted red pepper
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa
- Drain the beans and place in a food processor or blender with the next five ingredients.
- Process until very smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread a tortilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the garbanzo mixture and place in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with chopped onions and salsa.
- Top with a second tortilla and cook until the bottom tortilla is warm and soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook the second side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and cut in half.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Nice quick lunch, the hummus is nice on its own as someone else said. I knew an entire tin of chickpeas would make a ton of filling, so I only made half, and that was plenty to feed 4, with a little left over to use as a dip. I added a little Daiya cheese to mine while it was cooking, which was really tasty. I also added a little nutritional yeast to boost the savoury flavour of the hummus. Tasted great with corn tortillas.
This was super easy and tasty. I doubled the recipe and used a can of pinto and a can of light navy bean b/c it was what I had on hand. I added a bit of nutritional yeast and some sliced almonds. DH looked skeptical when he saw it in the food processor. After he had a bite he said I don't know what this is but its really good!
Very tasty and healthy too! We enjoyed these and didn't feel guilty after eating them. We will be making these again.