Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Want a way to use up that BIG bird? Quick turkey curry with fruits and nuts, a great dish.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart green apple, such as granny smith,cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, preferably madras brand
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups turkey broth or 1 1⁄2 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked turkey, cut in 1 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium banana, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup toasted blanched slivered almond
- In a large skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the onion, apple and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the curry powder and stir for 15 seconds.
- Sprinkle on the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the turkey and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt and banana and cook until heated through, about 30 seconds; do not boil.
- Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the almonds and serve immediately, preferably over cooked basmati rice.
- Serves four.