Recipe by SallyG
Easy and light Chicken Tortilla Soup. Got it out of the Sunday paper submitted by Pam Anderson from her cookbook, Perfect One Dish Dinners. It has become a favorite!
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise to form two thin cutlets
- 22.18 ml olive oil, separated
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 1 large onion, cut into medium dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 1892.0 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 411.06 g diced tomatoes (fire-roasted, if you can find)
- 2 (850.48 g) can black beans, not drained
- 170.09 g corn tortilla strips
- 1 lime, cut into 8ths
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat. Toss chicken with salt, chili powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil to coat. Add chicken to hot pot; cook, turning only once, until impressively brown on both sides, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cut (or shred when cool enough) into bite-size pieces.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the hot empty pot; add onions and saute until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and peppers; continue to saute until fragrant about a minute longer. Add chicken broth, tomatoes and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low. Simmer partially covered and skim foam as it surfaces, to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and turn off heat.
- Place a portion of tortilla strips in each bowl, ladle over hot soup and top as desired, letting each person squirt in a little lime.
- grated pepper jack cheese.
- diced avocados.
- light sour cream.
- chopped fresh cilantro.
- hot red pepper sauce.
- Make it quick: To speed cooking, heat the broth in the microwave while the onions and garlic are cooking.