Recipe by buzzsau
This is a version of Emeril's quick tortilla soup. Easy tortilla soup with chicken broth base!!! Very yummy! I can't find fresh poblano chiles so have been using one Penzey's dried ancho pepper, seeded and chopped. Also have been using 4 tablespoons dried onion and 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder if fresh not available. If you have fresh cilantro, use 1/4 cup chopped in place of dried. The seasoning for the tortilla strips is #rz.243095. It is Emeril's creole seasoning recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, dried
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips and sprayed with Pam and seasoned with 1 teaspoon Emeril's Essence creole s
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil and add onions, garlic, poblano pepper, salt, cumin and coriander and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, cilantro and lime juice.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bake tortilla strips sprayed with Pam and sprinkled with 1 teaspoon Emeril's Essence at 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Ladle soup into bowl and top with baked tortilla strips, avocado and chipotle/sour cream mixture.