This is a simple tomato sauce that can be used for anything and everything. It was taken from the cookbook "My Calabria" by Rosetta Constantino (www.cookingwithrosetta.com). It only takes 20 minutes to prepare and has 4 ingredients plus salt and an optional small hot red pepper.
- Pour the San Marzano tomatoes into a bowl and break them up by hand. Discard any hard cores or bits of skin.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over moderate heat, add the garlic and saute until golden, about one minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice carefully. (They will splatter.) Tear the basil leaves in half and add along with the salt. Add the hot pepper (if using).
- Simmer briskly, stiring occasionally, until you have a thick chunky sauce. About 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the garlic before serving.