Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in an old vegetarian cookbook called Vegetarian Cookery volume 3 main dishes. It has quickly become a favorite with my picky husband. To top it off it is a very inexpensive recipe. It calls for a very small amount of onions. If i am cooking a veggie dish I will save the enough chopped onions in anticipation of this dish to help save on prep time. This is a wonderful recipe, but I think the breadcrumbs in melted butter (I use margarine) really make this dish.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Melt margarine in saucepan, and saute onions until translucent.
- Add soup, water and cheese.
- Cook on low until cheese is melted.
- Mix hot cooked macaroni with above mixture and pour into buttered casserole dish I use 9x9 square pan, but 1 1/2 quart dish is called for in recipe.
- Mix dry bread crumbs with melted margarine, and top casserole off.
- Bake at 350 F 30 minutes (or until lightly browned).