Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love tomato jam, but can't buy it in the UK! So the last time I went back to South Africa on holiday, I managed to get hold of this very easy and very quick tomato jam recipe.
- 2 (410 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 apple (peeled & grated)
- 80 ml chopped preserved gingerroot
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 500 ml caster sugar
- Mix tomatoes, apple and ginger in a large microwave-proof dish.
- Microwave uncovered at 100% power for 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and caster sugar and microwave at 100% for a further 40 minutes, or until jam starts setting, stirring every 10 minutes.
- The time the jam takes to set depends on the wattage of your microwave.
- It might be a good idea to spoon a bit onto a cold plate after 25 minutes, and see if it sets.
- When done, spoon the hot jam into sterilized jars and seal immediately.
Wonderful ! I adopted you for Pick-a-Chef Spring 2007 and this recipe caught my eye. I wasn't sure how tomatoes as jam would work... but willing to have a go, and it works, very well! It's sweet but very tomato-y at the same time and the ginger gives a definiate flavour injection. I used fresh ginger, grated very finely because I wasn't sure what was meant by preserved gingerroot. Who cares if I didn't do it prefectly, the result is very tasty indeed. I assumed that I would taste a bit like commercial tomato sauce, but although it is similar it definiately doesn't. Please see my Rating System: an excellent 5 stars for a recipe that's easy to make, tastes different but wonderful and has a heap of uses from on crackers, or as an addition to anything that needs a wonderful sweet tomato flavour. Thanks!