Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't like hominy, but otherwise love Posole... so I modified it a little.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 10 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro (a generous handful)
- 1 lime, halved
- In a deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and season with salt and pepper; add the cumin and allspice. Cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic and jalapeno.
- Using a food processor, pulse the tomatillos until coarsely chopped.
- Stir the tomatillos into the pork, lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and beans and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and turn off the heat.
- Squeeze 1/2 lime over the pork; stir.