Recipe by OhMyStars!
Wonderful for winter potlucks and buffets. I've had to give the recipe so many times that I just keep a copy on my Outlook notes!
Top Review by Chef TanyaW
We love this soup. I cut the meat to one pound (we are not big meat eaters). I also didn't use pinto beans. I rinse the beans thoroughly (I think they are somehow less gas producing that way). We add a dollop of sour cream into each bowl and mix it in for a little creamier texture. Everyone loves it including the kids...I cut the green chilies for them, but I know my DH and I would like it better with the chilies! <br/><br/>Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs of cooked and drained ground beef or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn or 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 3 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (3T. if using bulk)
- 1 (4 ounce) canof chopped chilies (Ortega)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (if you prefer a more brothy soup)
- grated cheese or Fritos corn chips or tortilla chips, strips or onions or olives or green onion (etc for toppings)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the meat and onion.
- (Meat is optional) Add to a large pot with all the canned items.
- Add the water and dry package ingredients.
- Stir until well mixed over a medium heat.
- Cook until hot (about 15-20 minutes).
- Serve in soup bowls topped with chopped onion and grated cheese.
- Serve with corn chips and other toppings on the side.