Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful for winter potlucks and buffets. I've had to give the recipe so many times that I just keep a copy on my Outlook notes!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs of cooked and drained ground beef or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn or 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 3 (16 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning mix (3T. if using bulk)
- 1 (4 ounce) canof chopped chilies (Ortega)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (if you prefer a more brothy soup)
- grated cheese or Fritos corn chips or tortilla chips, strips or onions or olives or green onion (etc for toppings)
- Brown the meat and onion.
- (Meat is optional) Add to a large pot with all the canned items.
- Add the water and dry package ingredients.
- Stir until well mixed over a medium heat.
- Cook until hot (about 15-20 minutes).
- Serve in soup bowls topped with chopped onion and grated cheese.
- Serve with corn chips and other toppings on the side.
We love this soup. I cut the meat to one pound (we are not big meat eaters). I also didn't use pinto beans. I rinse the beans thoroughly (I think they are somehow less gas producing that way). We add a dollop of sour cream into each bowl and mix it in for a little creamier texture. Everyone loves it including the kids...I cut the green chilies for them, but I know my DH and I would like it better with the chilies! <br/><br/>Thanks!
This is a very easy to make, tasty and hearty meal; great if you are short on time. I didn't add that last 1 1/2 cups water for a brothy soup because I wanted a thicker, chunkier stew consistancy...and it was!! Very satisfying. We ate it with cheddar cheese and cilantro sprinkled on top, then garnished with black olives, sour cream, onion, and tortilla chips....endless possibilities. The only thing that I didn't have was the 4 oz green chilies, but it was wonderful even without them. Thanx for this recipe; I'll whip this up often!
Great flavor and very filling. Also, a nice quick recipe that is easy to follow. I don't like corn, so I left it out and I also left out the water because I liked it just like it was, nice and thick. Thanks for sharing this recipe!