Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe adpated from Fleischmann's yeast - unusual crust for a casserole that starts with a cold oven. The crust rises as the oven preheats and the dish bakes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Bake and Rise Batter
- 1⁄2 cup masa corn flour or 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes fast rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk (very warm - 120-130 F)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup corn chips, partially crushed
- Brown meat in a skillet and drain off fat. Add taco seasoning, stir well and set aside.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix all the batter ingredients together and stir until smooth. Pour into baking pan.
- Top batter with meat mixture then pour salsa evenly over the meat; sprinkle with cheese and corn chips.
- Place in a cold oven; set temperature to 350ºF.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
What a great recipe. It's so easy and delicious, too. I ended up with a wonderfully light cornbread crust on the bottom with a pleasantly spicy filling. I'll definitely be making this again.