Recipe by Missy Wombat
This quickie tempeh dish came about because my preschooler only wanted to eat tempeh if it was sweet. She gobbles the whole lot up and asks for more and often eats the vegetables or salad that goes with it. Great for padding out meals if you have left over salads and white rice.
Top Review by Kree
This was my first time cooking with tempeh, and I really enjoyed it! I couldn't taste the jam in the sauce as much as I had expected, but it had a very nice flavor. I had this with white rice as suggested, and I think next time I'll make some extra sauce to serve over the rice. Thanks for broadening my culinary horizons!
- 200 g tempeh (1 block)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornflour or 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed in a little cold water for thickening
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the tempeh into bite-sized cubes.
- In a bowl mix the cayenne, soy sauce, jam, curry powder and white wine vinegar.
- Add the tempeh and coat well.
- Leave in the refrigerator to chill if possible.
- In a small wok or fry pan, heat some oil and add the tempeh.
- Allow to brown a little and stir continuously.
- Add the corn flour dissolved in water and allow to thicken.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with white rice or a side salad.