A yummy quick sweet pickle from Deborah Madison, author of Seasonal Fruit Desserts. Deborah recommends using ‘Beit Alpha’ cucumbers. I've never heard of them. Enjoy!
- 5⁄8 cup white wine vinegar (or apple-cider vinegar-just a little less than 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 3-4 cucumbers or use English cucumbers)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons torn dill sprigs
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl, mix vinegar, sugar, and salt, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, dill, and peppercorns.
- Add olive oil to reserved vinegar mixture and stir well. Pour over vegetables and toss to combine.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Store pickles, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.