Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is modified from my favorite cooking magazine, Cuisine at Home. I liked it because it was quick and used ingredients on hand. Note on timing: Prep time is how long it actually took me--but I've been really blessed with loads of prep practice in restaurants. Cook time is a guestimate, I didn't really time it. Original recipe says total time is 25 minutes.
- 2 slices thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 8 cups red cabbage, shredded (one small head)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- Over medium low heat, saute bacon in a large saucepan until crispy.
- Increase heat to medium high and add onions and apples, stir constantly until onions just start to wilt.
- Add flour and stir, cooking 1-2 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Slowly add cider vinegar while stirring and then sugar.
- Dump in the cabbage.
- Put a lid on it and stir it around periodically until cabbage is tender.
- Salt to taste and serve.