1/1 Photo of Quick Swedish Rye Bread
1 hr 10 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This all-rye bread, called matbrod or "food bread" in Sweden, is incredibly simple to make. The cumin seeds impart a unique but delicious flavour. You could use caraway seeds instead. Recipe found in Canadian House and Home and is from Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid's Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World (2003 Random House Canada).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F and butter 2 8" x 4" loaf pans.
- 2In large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cumin seeds.
- 3In separate bowl, mix together yogurt, milk and honey; stir to blend well (if the honey is stiff, warm it a little to make it more liquid before mixing with the yogurt and milk).
- 4Pour yogurt mixture into flour mixture and stir until dry ingredients are well moistened (mixture will be sticky but quite stiff).
- 5Stir vigorously for several minutes.
- 6Divide dough evenly among prepared pans, smoothing tops with wet spatula.
- 7Place in centre of oven, lower heat to 385°F and bake for 30 minutes, then lower heat to 350°F and bake another 20 minutes or until loaves have pulled away from sides of pans and a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 8Turn loaves out of pans onto rack. (The loaves will be about 2" high.).
- 9Allow bread to cool for at least two hours before slicing to give loaves time to firm up.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Swedish Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.0
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 317.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 2.2 g