This is adapted from the Just Bento Cookbook, by Makiko Itoh. Her recipe uses enoki and shitake mushrooms, and twice the sugar that I've called for here. I love this over brown rice in a bento box, but it's equally good straight from the pan over a bowl of whatever rice you love. While I've listed this as one serving, I have a fairly modest appetite and will serve this as two servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 28.34 g snow peas, trimmed
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 1 green onion, white part only thinly sliced (save the green part to garnish another dish)
- 2 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 85.04 g beef sirloin, very thinly sliced (look for sukiyaki sliced beef at an asian market)
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml dashi
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml mirin
- 14.79 ml sake
- 236.59 ml cooked brown rice
- shichimi pepper, to taste
- 1Bring a very small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the snow peas and cook for 1 minute, until the color turns very bright. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a small skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, and saute until it starts to soften.
- 3Add the mushrooms, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to soften.
- 4Add the beef and sugar, stir to combine all of the ingredients, and cook until the beef starts to brown.
- 5Add the dashi, soy sauce, mirin, and sake; and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes over high heat.
- 6***If using in a bento, place the meat mixture in a bowl and allow to cool before packing in the box on top of the rice. Garnish with the blanched snow peas and shichimi pepper.
- 7If serving immediately, place the cooked rice in a deep bowl, then top with the meat mixture and some of the cooking liquid. Place the snow peas on top and sprinkle with the shichimi pepper.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Sukiyaki Style Beef Donburi
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.4
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 63.7 mg
- Sodium 2155.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 27.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: