Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I was in a pinch to come up with dessert when my inlaws came to visit. We had been so busy I forgot to prepare a finale for supper. I quickly scanned the fridge and found leftover cream cheese icing (from my cinnamon buns) and fresh strawberries. There was no time to make shortcake so I grabbed ladyfingers from the pantry thinking they are a similar texture, and this is what I ended up with. Everyone thought they were delicious and had no idea that I had just thown them together. Use any fresh fruit you have on hand - blueberries or raspberries would add great colour too.
Cream cheese icing
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam (optional)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 ladyfingers
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- chocolate curls (to garnish)
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, milk and icing sugar (add milk slowly as you may wish to add more or less depending on the consistency desired).
- Slice the strawberries, mix with the lemon juice and sugar and refrigerate until ready to assemble. (the lemon juice helps to draw out the juice from the berries).
- To assemble, slice a small piece from the rounded edge of one ladyfinger so that it now has two flat sides (prevents tipping). Place on the serving plate and spread with the cream cheese icing, followed by a layer of berries and some juice, top with a second lady finger to form a sandwich.
- If desired you can spread a layer of jam onto the flat side of the top ladyfinger and place it over the berries. (I did this because my berries had not sat for long and therefore they weren`t as juicy as I would have liked).
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving to allow the juices to soften the biscuit, top with fresh whipped cream and some white or dark chocolate curls, use left over berries to surround each plate.