Recipe by Sackville
This is an impressive summer dessert that takes little time to prepare, although you do have to make it ahead to allow the dish to chill properly.
- 4 fresh eggs
- 1 pinch sugar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250 g mascarpone
- 350 g strawberries
- 3 tablespoons kirsch
- 30 sponge cake fingers
- 4 ripe apricots
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the egg whites and yolks.
- Whisk the whites until stiff with a pinch of sugar.
- Set aside.
- Whisk the yolks with the caster sugar until the mixture becomes pale, thick and creamy.
- Split open the vanilla pod with a sharp knife, scoop out the seeds and add to the yolk mixture.
- Whisk in the mascarpone, then gently fold the whisked egg whites into the mascarpone mixture and set aside.
- Whizz a quarter of the strawberries, spoon into a wide shallow bowl, add the Kirsch and dilute with about the same amount of water to make a thin syrup.
- Quickly dip about half the sponge fingers into the syrup and arrange them in the bottom of a large bowl or deep glass dish.
- Spoon over half the mascarpone and egg mixture.
- Cover with a second layer of syrup-dipped sponge fingers (you may need to add a bit more Kirsch and water to the syrup).
- Spoon over the rest of the mascarpone cream.
- Chill for at least two hours.
- Stone and quarter the apricots.
- To finish, arrange the strawberries and apricots on top of the tiramisu and scatter over the hazelnuts.