Prep 25 mins
Cook 168 hrs
I just love this. It is so much better than what they sell at the market. Nice and crisp, too. Be sure to mix this in a bowl that can take some heat, such as stainless steel. Yummy! TNT
- 8 kirby cucumbers, sliced thick
- 473.18 ml cauliflower florets
- 236.59 ml fresh jalapenos or 236.59 ml pickled jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 828.06 ml pickle juice, from dill pickles
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml jalapeno juice, from pickled jalapenos
- 8-10 dried hot red chili peppers
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4.92 ml celery seed
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds
- Place cucumbers, cauliflower, and jalapenos (if using pickled ones) in a mixing bowl.
- If using fresh jalapenos, place them in a large saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, pickle juice, sugar, jalapeno brine, chile peppers, garlic, celery seeds, and mustard seed and bring to a boil.
- Mix hot brine mixture with cucumbers in the mixing bowl, stirring to blend.
- Pack mixture into a large container or jars and refrigerate for 1-2 weeks, stirring daily, until cucumbers are pickled but still crisp.
- Pickles not suitable for canning or freezing. Store unused pickles in the refrigerator.
So pretty , VERY easy, and makes good use of summer's bounty! I used Vlasic dill pickle juice and after a week of marinating decided the mix was on the bland side. I ended up adding vinegar and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to each jar. I am happier with the bolder flavor. The recipe makes tons, but it is keeping well in the fridge. The veggies have stayed nicely crispy. Thank you for sharing the recipe!