I just love this. It is so much better than what they sell at the market. Nice and crisp, too. Be sure to mix this in a bowl that can take some heat, such as stainless steel. Yummy! TNT
- 8 kirby cucumbers, sliced thick
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup fresh jalapenos or 1 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups pickle juice, from dill pickles
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup jalapeno juice, from pickled jalapenos
- 8 -10 dried hot red chili peppers
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Place cucumbers, cauliflower, and jalapenos (if using pickled ones) in a mixing bowl.
- If using fresh jalapenos, place them in a large saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, pickle juice, sugar, jalapeno brine, chile peppers, garlic, celery seeds, and mustard seed and bring to a boil.
- Mix hot brine mixture with cucumbers in the mixing bowl, stirring to blend.
- Pack mixture into a large container or jars and refrigerate for 1-2 weeks, stirring daily, until cucumbers are pickled but still crisp.
- Pickles not suitable for canning or freezing. Store unused pickles in the refrigerator.