Recipe by Dancer^
This is a wonderful recipe to create with black-eyed peas leftover from another meal. Should you not have left over black-eyed peas, substitute 4 cups of canned black-eyed peas, drained.
Top Review by Gracie in NM
Outstanding!! I made this to take to a potluck party. Very impressed with the flavor and creamy texture of this dip. Lotta garlic :) I served with tortilla chips. There was nothing left to take home. Thanks for a yummy recipe.
- 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas, including any seasonings or 4 cups meat
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- If using left over black-eyed peas, include any of the ham or bacon seasoning to enhance the dip.
- Measure out 4 cups and place in a sieve or strainer to drain for approximately 10 minutes.
- Removing this excess moisture from the cooked peas will guarantee a creamier dip.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add jalapeño pepper and chopped green chilies.
- Cook 2 to 3 additional minutes and add half of the black-eyed peas.
- Simmer 2 minutes, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour contents into the bowl of a food processor and blend until puréed.
- Transfer to a decorative serving bowl and add remaining black-eyed peas.
- Stir well to incorporate.
- Add chopped pimento and parsley for garnish.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips or crackers.