Recipe by Sharlene~W
Great side dish for your Mexican fiesta. Try with Chile Verde (Beef or Pork)! It is as good as you'll find in any Mexican restaurant. Update: 1 teaspoon cumin was added to original recipe. I took some of my reviewers suggestion and added 1 teaspoon of cumin to the recipe. They were right. Cumin definitely adds to the taste.
Top Review by Pippy
This was very easy and very delicious. I also made "Salsa Chicken" (#27475), sliced it, and fanned it over the top. Tonight with the leftovers I will make burritos. I'll bet there's a delicious soup waiting to happen in there too. Oh, how I love meals that turn into other meals. I will use this recipe from now on, thanks for posting!
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients (I usually mash tomatoes with potato masher or give them a quick spin in food processor).
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is done. (Unless you like sticky, gooey rice, don't take off the lid and stir at all until it is done).
- Garnish with green onions and/or cheddar cheese.