Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Joy of Cooking. I know there are lots of sour cream coffee cakes out there, but this one is slightly different in that there is no butter in the batter. This goes together very quickly, just like the name says, and when it is warm, the texture is just wonderful.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Prepare streusel topping:.
- With fork, combine flour, butter and sugar till crumbly.
- Add cinnamon. Set aside.
- Coffee Cake:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine sour cream and eggs. Beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cream mixture. Beat just till smooth as overbeating tends to toughen dough.
- Spread in a lightly oiled 9x9 pan.
- Sprinkle with streusel (and nuts if desired).
- Bake about 30-40 minutes at 350, or till tester comes out clean.
This recipe was the first one that I tried from Joy of Cooking book. After hearing people praising the book, my expectations were very high, I guess. I agree with Aunt Cookie. It did take 55 mins for me to bake this cake. I even raised the temp. to 375 in the middle. It was moist and good, considering the time that I spent to prepare(5 mins!), but it was less sweet than I thought it should and smelled like an egg(I should've known when recipe called for two eggs and no vanilla extract..). Next time I will try with more sugar and 1t of vanilla extract.
Seriously EASY. Seriously DELICIOUS. I used plain Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream. More protein that way! I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all-purpose flour. And I doubled the streusel topping! YUM!
Tis was a good recipe. I have company coming today, coffe cake sounded perfect, but i didnt want just a plain square coffee cake in the pan so i used a greased round pan and put the topping in the bottom, when it was done i inverted it onto my cake plate and sprinkled with powdered sugar, Perfect!!! thank you for sharing