Recipe by Jezski
Similar to #263677 Pierogi Leniwe (Polish Cheese Dumplings) but maybe a little easier and less time-consuming. Simple to make and very good. Great for Lenten meals. From a Slovenian Cookbook in my collection.
Top Review by luvcook'n
These were easy and fast to put together. Before chilling...I rolled the dough in plastic wrap to form a tube. Then cut and cooked them. I knew that they would be bland, but made as directed. I think next time I will add some green onion (like I do when I make cottage cheese piroges. And maybe make a sour cream gravy to top it off. I know that is probably not Slovenian, but I think it would be good. I will definately be making this again. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made this for New Kids on the Block tag game.
- 24 ounces dry curd cottage cheese (well drained ricotta or well drained regular cottage cheese OK)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (or more as needed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- buttered bread crumb, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble cheese. (Can use processor for smoother texture.) Add beaten eggs, salt, butter and flour. Mix well. Chill for easier handling.
- Pat and roll dough with hands on a floured board so it will be 1" in diameter, like a sausage. Cut into 1-1/2" pieces.
- Bring 3 qts. water to a brisk boil and drop in ALL the dumplings. Cook for 15 minutes COVERED. Water must boil briskly all the while.
- Serve with buttered bread crumbs.
- Can make ahead and refrigerate.