Recipe by jonesies
Easy, one skillet side dish with beans for added fiber and bulk. Taken from the "Great Tasting Money Saving Meals" cookbook.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and thyme, cook and stir 4 minutes more.
- Add rice, 2 cups water, beans and salt; season to taste with black pepper if desired.
- Stir well; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and all liquid is evaporated.