Recipe by Tee Lee
This easy, delicious dish is a great way to get healthy whole-grains and fiber into your diet. It could be a vegetarian or meatless main dish or even a side dish. It is simple to prepare and quick. If you like more spice, add a little cayenne.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for Zaar Cookbooks Tag. This was okay but not the best recipe we have ever tried for black beans and rice. Like one of the other reviewers I did have to cook it a little longer to get the rice done and there didn't seem to be enough liquid so I had to add extra water.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like Mexican or Italian style)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion and cook about 3 minutes until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice.
- Bring to a boil then stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.