Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from the Vegetarian Express cookbook. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a delicious alternative to my other non-dairy pudding recipe (#58589)!
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (Generic brands are typically dairy-free, but Nestles and Hersheys are not, so read the labels!)
- 1 (10 ounce) package firm silken tofu (I prefer Mori Nu)
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 -2 tablespoon honey or 1 -2 tablespoon brown rice syrup, to taste
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 banana, thinly sliced (optional)
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan or double boiler with a tablespoon of water over medium heat.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to the container of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Add the tofu and process until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar, honey, or rice syrup to taste, and sprinkle in the nutmeg.
- Process again until velvety smooth.
- Stir in the sliced banana, if desired.
- Divide the pudding among 6 dessert cups and chill until needed.
- Note: If you are looking for a dairy-free pudding, beware!
- Some brands of semisweet chips contain milk products.
- Most generic or store brands are safe, but be sure to read the label!
Let me start by saying that I don't even like tofu - I made this recipe because Kree wanted someone to try it. And now let me say, oh my goodness, this was DELICIOUS!!!! The texture to me was somewhere between a pudding and a mousse - very rich, and very smooth. The package of tofu I had was a little bigger than 10 ounces, so I tossed in a few white chocolate chips to have a little extra chocolate. I used two tablespoons of brown sugar and substituted cinnamon for nutmeg, and this is some of the best stuff I've put in my mouth as far as desserts go. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for sharing, Kree, and for making me more of a tofu fan!
after a night in the fridge it's great. think it could use an extra banana or maybe i just used too much chocolate (i estimated). make sure to leave lots of room for this ... it's very filling, of course it is tofu.