Recipe by Zewbiedoo
No roux. My DH came up with this gumbo-like dish when our garden was overflowing with fresh okra. Whips up quickly and is great served with rice.
Top Review by Merlot
I have to be honest here . . . I don't care if you call this "stew" or "gumbo". I call it "fantastic"!!! We loved the flavor and it is so filling and satisfying. I served over a bed of hot rice as suggested. You can't go wrong with this great dish!
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups sliced okra (fresh is best, can use frozen)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) canshoepeg white corn, undrained
- salt & pepper
- sweet basil
- ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh raw small shrimp, peeled (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in grease until tender in the bottom of a mediuim-large saucepan.
- Add all other ingredients except shrimp.
- Simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes (put some rice on to cook while it simmers).
- Add fresh peeled shrimp and simmer another 10 minutes until the shrimp is done (pink).
- Serve over a bed of hot rice.