No roux. My DH came up with this gumbo-like dish when our garden was overflowing with fresh okra. Whips up quickly and is great served with rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 cups sliced okra (fresh is best, can use frozen)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can shoepeg white corn, undrained
- salt & pepper
- sweet basil
- ground red pepper
- 1/2 lb fresh raw small shrimp, peeled (or more)
- 1Saute onion in grease until tender in the bottom of a mediuim-large saucepan.
- 2Add all other ingredients except shrimp.
- 3Simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes (put some rice on to cook while it simmers).
- 4Add fresh peeled shrimp and simmer another 10 minutes until the shrimp is done (pink).
- 5Serve over a bed of hot rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Shrimp "Gumbo"
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.6
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 186.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 6.5 g