Recipe by Irish Rose
I tend to be a purist and I'm not too keen on any recipe that starts with "cream of". However, this recipe, from Southern Living, is really good. My husband loves it and all my friends have asked for the recipe. Try it and see if you agree.
Top Review by mama smurf
Made this for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup ~ Jan-June 2013 tag game. I cut the recipe in half added some minced garlic and celery which I sauteed with the onion then I added some frozen corn with the soup, milk and pepper and followed the rest of the instructions. Oh yes, I used precooked shrimp so I added that the last few minutes of the soup to warm up and not overcook. This is an easy and quick soup and we did enjoy this for the quickness but our cream of soup didn't have many potatoes and I think I would either add some precooked chopped potatoes or make my potatoe soup. I would make this again tho when we are in a hurry. Thank you for posting.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, add onion and saute 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in cream of potato soup, milk and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until shrimp turns pink.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve with oyster crackers if desired.