Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Southern Living.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium sized fresh shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion.
- Saute for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in cream of potato soup,milk and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Garnish if desired with parsley.
- Serve immediately with oyster crackers.
Super easy and yummy! For years I have been trying to find a good recipe for a creamy chowder and this is it! I used 1 1/2 cups of FF Half and half to replace some of the milk. Have made with shrimp and also with crab. (I think I prefer the shrimp.) Added 1 cup of frozen corn as well. Will make often this winter. Thanks!
Hi LMillerRN, this Shrimp Chowder is scrumptious! We have also made it with chicken but there is nothing like the shrimp! We also added sliced green onions & a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (instead of ground cayenne - personal preference)was really warming and filling! Thank you for posting such a great recipe that should be tried by all. Take care, Diane :=)