Recipe by Ann Hall
I have been cooking from this book for the past 40 years. I in fact paid 30 shillings for it (I know that shows my age!). This is a favourite of my children, my friends, their friends and everyone else. They just cannot get enough. I hope you enjoy it and please let me know if you have any suggestions to make it that little bit better.
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces caster sugar (if diabetic replace with Splenda or another brand - 5 tbs)
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, for decoration
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Knead together well with fingertips (you can also mix this well in a blender)until you form a smooth, firm ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and divide into two portions.
- Roll out and trim into two oblongs, about 8 x 2.5 inches.
- Place on baking tray covered with grease-proof paper and prick with a fork.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 30-35 minutes (about 180).
- Once baked, cut into fingers whilst still warm and allow to cool on baking tin.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar and seal in an airtight tin.