Scalloped potatoes started on the stove top, finished in the oven, with no cream soup. From Cook's Illustrated. Posted in response to a request. Cook time includes cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1Heatoven to 425 degrees.
- 2Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until foaming subsides.
- 3Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 5Add potatoes, chicken broth, cream, and bay leaves and bring to simmer.
- 6Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender (paring knife can be slipped into and out of potato slice with some resistance), about 10 minutes.
- 7Discard bay leaves.
- 8Transfer mixture to 8-inch-square baking dish (or other 1½-quart gratin dish); sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- 9Bake until cream is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 10Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.7
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 944.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium chicken stock