Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a local source. The sprouts were delicious served over a bed of short grain brown rice-as a suggestion. Next time for fun I plan to substitute lime juice and zest for the lemon...
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (can substitute almonds, hazelnuts, etc.)
- 1⁄2 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Toast the walnuts in a dry pan (I always use cast iron to toast nuts) until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside.
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and discard any damaged outside leaves. Use a food processor fitted with the thin slicing blade to shred the sprouts.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat the oil.
- Add the sprouts to the pan.
- Cook, stirring, until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. The pan will seem very crowded in the beginning, but the Brussels sprouts will shrink down quickly.
- Transfer the brussels sprouts to a serving platter and season with salt and pepper, 1 to 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, the lemon zest and the walnuts.
- Serve immediately.
Simple, easy, and a nice and different way to fix Brussels sprouts. Made for Vegetarian Swap April 2013.