Prep 3 mins
Cook 6 mins
A quick, flavorful recipe I came up with that fits into the Dr. Simeons Hcg Protocol during VLCD phase. Add spices to taste. **Trimming the Asparagus: Just hold each end and snapping it -- it will naturally break off the tough part. You keep the flower end for cooking (and should have nice longer spears). If you like, the "tough" ends can be kept to be used in vegetable stock or for other used later. Saw this on Cook Yourself thin!
- 2 cups fresh asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- Add asparagus in a saute pan along with water over medium heat.
- Stir frequently, for approximately 2 -3 minutes.
- Add remaining spices, squeezed juice of half lemon and more water if needed; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
I'm enjoying this asparagus right now! I didn't have red pepper flakes so used a few dashes of Frank's hot sauce. I also used white asparagus. A little spicy and very good, thank you!
Quick, easy, yummy! Perfect for my wok. Thanks!
Delicious! The only modification was to use a microwave method and omitted the water. I rinsed the asparagus and broke off the woody ends then broke the asparagus three more times so each piece was about 1-2 inches long. I put the aparagus, lemon juice, minced garlic and spices in a glass bowl, covered with saran wrap and microwaved for 1 1/2 minutes. Took out of the microwave, removed the saran (be careful, do not burn yourself with the steam), stirred and put back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. My asparagus was thin so it took only two minutes total, thicker ones will probably take three minutes. Yummy! The seasoning was perfect but, I LOVE spicy food!