Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quickie that my mashed potato lovers really dig. From TOH-Quick Cooking.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can salmon, drained,flaked,and picked over
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (or 3 c. leftover mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Add butter to a saucepan; melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and ketchup until consistancy is smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add salmon, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions.
- Spoon half of mashed potatoes into a greased 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Top with salmon mixture, then remaining potatoes, and top it off with shredded cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated and cheese is melted.
Thank YOU for this recipe, NurseDi. My DH, our 1-year old son and I all loved it. Easy to prepare and delicious. (I used the salmon in a pouch to avoid draining, flaking, picking over. I reduced the mashed potatoes and cheese a little as I was only serving 2 1/2 people and I wanted more salmon flavor and less potato anyway.) This will be served often at our house. Thank you again!
well, didn't have the canned stuff, just had left over salmon, from a salmon bake. So I had to guess at it a bit. I made it just as you said to, but I had to guess the amount of fish, so I added 2 cups of fish, saw that it needed more sauce so made more without the fish and then added it to the already made mixture. Used the Garlic instand potatoes. Figured that I didn't have to serve anything else other than a veggie. I really didn't care for it. But then again the meat was strong tasting so that might have something to do with the overall taste. I will not make this again, but maybe someone else will like it. It is a fast meal to make, that is for sure.