Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from The New Portuguese Table by David Leite http://leitesculinaria.com This is an easy and flavorful roast chicken, the potatoes cook in the same pan which makes cleanup easy! The red pepper paste called for in the original is Amped-Up Red Pepper Paste but if you want to use another pepper paste please do so. The timing will be different depending on your oven and how large your bird is.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken, and pull away any extra fat from inside the bird. Gently separate the skin from the meat over the breasts, thighs, and legs; being careful not to tear it. Spread 4 tablespoons of the red pepper paste under the skin, coating the breast, thigh, and leg meat as evenly as you can. Massage 1 more tablespoon over the skin, then season to taste with the salt and pepper. Place the chicken on a rack that will fit in a roasting pan with room for the potato chunks below the rack.
- Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and remaining red pepper paste, and place them in the bottom of the roasting pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place the rack with the chicken on it over the potatoes and place in the preheated oven.
- Roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 160F, about an hour. Remove the pan from the oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the bird is resting, check the potatoes for doneness. If they are not completely tender, toss the pan back in the oven until the chicken is done resting.
- Carve the chicken into serving pieces and serve with the potatoes on the side.
This chicken was a real surprise - so flavorful. The potatoes absorbed all the goodness and we just loved this meal. Thanks for posting. I will use this recipe over and over.