Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Moosewood recipe from the "Cooks at Home" cookbook. My toddler loves this and will eat extremely well so it is a good recipe to use if they are hitting a fussy phase. I don't bother matchsticking the carrots - I just grate them if the meal is just for us. Good quick recipe for a weeknight.
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 4 carrots, cut into match sticks
- 1 onion, small, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 20 g feta, crumbled or 20 g feta, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- Bring the stock to a boil in a covered pot.
- Put the carrots in the stock water, lower the heat and very gently simmer.
- In a large wok or saucepan, saute the onions until softened but not brown.
- Carefully add the rice and stir genly unil the grains are thoroughly coated with oil.
- Add the dill.
- Ladle 1 cup of the carrot stock into the saucepan with the rice and stir.
- When it is absorbed, ladle in another cup worth.
- Keep stirring in the stock and carrots like this until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is ender but al dente[15-20 minutes].
- When the risotto is ready, remove it from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, feta and optional parsley.
- Serve immediately.
I thought it was ok, but my toddler loved it.
This is a nice dish. This was the first time we'd had carrots in a risotto, and it worked out well. We used dried dill; I'd like to try fresh next time b/c I didn't notice much dill flavor. We used reduced fat feta, and as a result the dish needed extra salt. It also needs a fair amount of pepper, esp if you don't use any parsley.
I will certainly be making this again. It was so different and so good! Thanks!