1/8 Photos of Quick Rise Pizza Margherita (With Topping Variations)
This recipe was created while teaching the 2013 cooking elective, "Cuisine Around the World", at my daughter's charter school. This is one of the recipes I used for our "visit" to Italy. It was a creation that resulted after reducing several recipes down to an individual pizza sized dough amount, and testing them by making the dough in a small bowl, and kneading on a small amount of waxed paper. I wanted each student to be able to make their own individual pizza dough and pizza. This recipe makes a whole, family-sized pie, but you can divide the dough into 4 individual pies. I made this pizza a Margherita for the lesson, but feel free to use other toppings to make your favorite; Hawaiian, pepperoni, veggie, meat lovers, chicken BBQ, chicken and ranch; etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 -120 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or one packet will work)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- olive oil (for brushing on dough)
For Pizza Margherita
- 1Preheat oven to 450°, and spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle a little cornmeal over the spray.
- 2Heat water in microwave for 20 seconds, or use hot tap water heated to 110 – 120 degrees. Add white sugar and sea salt. Stir to dissolve.
- 3Add yeast, stir to dissolve, and cover with a towel. Let proof for 10 minutes. (The yeast should bubble and puff up, if not, then your yeast is no good. Start over with new yeast.).
- 4Combine flour and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl, add yeast mixture, and stir with a spoon until you can no longer stir it. Now use your hands to continue mixing and kneading the dough ball. Use additional flour on your hands to keep the dough from sticking. Knead dough for at least 10 minutes, then shape dough into one large round, or divide into four pieces for individual pies, and place on cookie sheet.
- 5Brush a thin coat of olive oil over dough, and then spread on sauce.
- 6Sprinkle sauce with Italian seasoning, cheese, basil and tomatoes.
- 7Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, but watch closely after 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Rise Pizza Margherita (With Topping Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.1
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 371.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 14.8 g