Recipe by Can Burn Water
Pourable fondant icing for cakes, cupcakes, cookies and petits fours. Makes about 2 1/2 cups icing
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon clear almond extract (may substitute any clear flavor, lemon is also delicious)
- food coloring, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover cupcakes lightly with buttercream icing. Let set 15 minutes.
- Place sugar in saucepan. Combine water and corn syrup; add to sugar and stir until well-mixed. Cook over low heat. Don't allow temperature of mixture to exceed 100°F Remove from heat; stir in extract and icing color.
- Place cooled cupcakes or mini cakes on cooling grid positioned over cookie sheet or pan to catch excess icing. Cupcakes which will be covered completely should be turned bottom side up. Pour icing on center of cupcake using pan or measuring cup. Or, pipe icing from a cut decorating bag. Cover the cupcake completely, or use your coating as a glaze to simply cover tops and drip over the sides. Touch up any bare spots with spatula. Let set.
- Excess icing may be reheated just to pouring consistency. Don’t overheat the icing as it will lose its shiny finish.