Adapted from Sunset Magazine, this only takes about an hour to make and is a very warming weeknight dinner. Not meant to be the real deal, but pretty tasty on its own merit. If you can't find the ground red chiles, you can sub chile powder, or ground red pepper to taste, though it won't be quite the same. Make some corn tortilla quesadillas to go with!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chilies, rough chopped, remove seeds if you want less heat
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, large
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans white hominy
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano (regular works fine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth, heated in the microwave
- 3 tablespoons ground red new mexico peppers
- sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, chopped tomato
- 1Mince garlic finely.
- 2Dice onion (you can do both of those in a food processor quite easily).
- 3Drain hominy, set aside.
- 4Cut chicken into 1 inch or so chunks, toss with salt and 1 tsp of the oregano, then in a large pan, saute over high heat in the olive oil for about three minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to medium, add onions, oregano, and garlic to pan; saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add ground chiles to pan, saute a minute or so, then add the chicken broth, hominy, then simmer for about ten minutes.
- 7Stir in the green chiles, heat through and serve.
- 8I prefer to stir in the tomatoes when I put in the hominy, or add a can of chopped fire roasted diced tomatoes to the stew.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Posole
Serving Size: 1 (718 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.0
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 141.6 mg
- Sodium 1378.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 42.9 g