Recipe by Sharon123
A delicious meal in minutes! The portablla mushrooms have a meaty texture. From Woman's Day magazine.
Top Review by jeanbuckley
This got rave reviews. My husband is waiting for gall bladder surgery, so he's on a low fat diet for awhile. I reduced the fat content by cooking the veggies over high heat in veggie broth instead of oil until the broth was essentially gone, then finished off with more veggie broth mixed with fajita seasoning (using a recipe from this website for the mix) for the peppers/onions and the balsamic vinegar for the mushrooms. I also added some shredded red cabbage and thinly sliced radishes and a little lime juice to the wrap and skipped the lettuce and sour cream. Next time I think I might add some fresh, or maybe pickled, jalapenos. I think I must have had very large mushroom caps because I ended up slicing them while they cooked instead of afterwards.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (1 1/8 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 soft taco-size flour tortillas, warmed
- sour cream (to garnish)
- fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in each of 2 skillets over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms to 1 skillet, peppers and onions to the other.
- Cook 6 minutes, turning mushrooms and stirring pepper mixture occasionally, until firm-tender.
- Add balsamic vinegar to mushrooms the last 2 minutes of cooking, if using.
- Remove mushrooms to cutting board.
- Stir seasoning and 1/3 cup water into pepper mixture.
- Cook 1 minute until saucy.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Roll up with peppers and onions in lettuce-lined tortillas.