Recipe by What's Cooking?
This delicious and quick recipe calls for "1 tube prepared polenta" - Many grocery stores carry pre-made polenta in tubes in the refrigerator section which can be sliced into rounds. If you don't have access to pre-made polenta or wish to make your own, I recommend following RecipeZaar "Grilled Polenta Rounds" (omitting only the last step). Alternately, you can make polenta to your liking, spreading it on a baking sheet while still hot in a 1/4" layer, and cool it in the fridge for an hour or until firm, then use a juice glass to cut small disks out of the polenta. I changed this recipe on 12/11/06 to reflect reviewers' feedback.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was quick, easy, delicious and an economical dish to prepare. There wasn't quite enough sage butter sauce to drizzle over the polenta. I think next time I will increase the sage/butter sauce ingredients a little more. I used tubed organic polenta from Trader Joe's and fresh sage from our garden. Thanks for posting the recipe. Served with a tossed mixed greens' salad and French bread. cg ;)
- cooking spray
- 1 (16 ounce) package prepared polenta (original, unflavored)
- 1⁄2 cup of freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray or spread cooking oil on the bottom and sides of a broiler-safe baking dish.
- Cut polenta in 1/4" thick disks. Place these disks on the bottom of the greased baking dish, overlapping them slightly so that there is no space in between disks.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly across the polenta.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add olive oil. When the butter/oil mixture is fully heated, immediately add sage, stirring constantly. Cook for no more than 30 seconds.
- Add chopped garlic and sauté very briefly, until garlic starts to perfume the oil but has not yet browned. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and drizzle over polenta.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes.