Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tangy, delicious and very quick to make
- 1 (440 g) can crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 precooked sweet pie crust
- 2 teasp. caster sugar (for optional meringue topping only)
- Separate egg yolks (keep whites for future use, or use for meringue topping).
- Mix custard powder with water.
- Bring crushed pineapple and its juice to boiling point in a saucepan.
- Add custard powder mixture while stirring.
- Take pan off the heat as soon as mixture thickens.
- Quickly add 2 egg yolks and I Tblsp butter, stir until well mixed.
- Leave to cool.
- Spoon into pie crust and chill.
- Serve with cream or icecream- or if you have time, make a meringue topping: Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add caster sugar while still beating.
- Pile meringue on top of pie.
- Bake at 180 for 30 minutes.