Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Cook's Country
- 1 lb cucumber, Kirby sliced lengthwise into 4 spears
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, plus
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 1⁄2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup ice
- Toss cucumbers with salt in colander set over a bowl.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Discard liquid.
- Place peppercorns, dill weed, garlic and 1/2 cup fresh dill in paper coffee filter or several layers of cheesecloth and tie tightly with kitchen twine.
- Bring spice bag and vinegar to a med boil reduce heat to low and add cucumbers. Cover and cook about 5 minutes until cukes turn dull olive brown in color (don't over cook or pickles won't be crunchy). Discard spice bag. Transfer cukes and liquid to a glass bowl, add ice, nd stir until melted. Stir in remaining 1 tbls fresh dill. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 1 hour before serving. (pickles can be refrigerated in covered container for up to 2 weeks).
- Time does not include chilling.
I made these with garden cukes and dried dill. Great flavor, very vinegary. I may add some extra water or ice next time, to cut down on the vinegar flavor. But the texture and seasoning was perfect. Thanks for posting!
These were great - a lot of flavor in just a little time! I didn't have fresh dil so I added extra dried dill. It worked just fine. Thanks, Sista!