Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Martha Stewart Living. Can keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- 1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably raw or cream honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Put onions and cucumber into a heatproof nonreactive medium bowl; set aside.
- Bring vinegar, honey, bay leaves, ginger, mustard seeds, salt and 1/2 c water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Pour over onion and cucumber. Cover loosely and let cool completely, stirring occasionally to submerge vegetables.