Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Pickled onions make a tangy addition to a sandwich, burger or salad. Adapted from Martha Stewart's Living magazine. This recipe was made for the wagon trains going through Montana.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 3⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon coarse salt (to taste)
- 2 whole cloves
- Place onion slices into a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; drain and transfer to a nonreactive bowl.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, salt and cloves to a boil in the saucepan. Pour over the onion slices, and let cool.
- Chill in an airtight container for at least 2 hours, or up to a month.
Made for Photo Tag Winter 07 These are SO pretty! Lovely for a holiday condiment! I found it to be a bit too salty so next time will cut down on the salt abit.