1/1 Photo of Quick Persian Beef Kebabs
Found this recipe in "The BBQ Bible" and am posting it for ZWT 6 - Iran region. As a rule, Iranian kebabs are easy to make, but they do require a day or two of marinating. Here, however, is a beef kebab from that country you can make and serve in the time it takes you to preheat the grill. The secret is to use thinly sliced beef tenderloin, which is so tender it needs no advance marinating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin (all fat or sinew trimmed off)
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, cracked
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, in one piece (for serving)
- lavash bread, for serving (flat bread)
- 1Cut the tenderloin crosswise into 1 inch thick slices. Place the slices flat on the cutting board and cut into 1 inch wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Thread the beef onto the skewers and place them on a large nonreactive platter.
- 2Puree the onion in food processor. Strain the resulting puree over the kebabs, turning to coat all slices. Using a fork, beat the lime juice, oil, pepper and salt in a small bowl, then pour the mixture over the kebabs, again turning to coat on all sides. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- 4When ready to cook, oil the grate. Drain the kebabs, arrange on the hot grate, and grill until cooked to taste, 1 to 2 minutes per side (4 to 8 minutes in all; Iranians like their beef on the medium side of medium-rare). Transfer the kebabs to a platter. With the butter on the end of a fork, for easy handling, rub it over each kebab. Serve immediately, with the lavash, using a piece of the bread to protect your hand as you slide the beef off the skewer.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick Persian Beef Kebabs
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.6
- Calories from Fat 453
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 161.4 mg
- Sodium 102.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 43.3 g