Recipe by Derf
A quick tasty supper, serve with crusty rolls and a green salad. For entry into Ready, Set, cook #3 contest.
Top Review by Mirj
Why didn't I try this one during the RSC #3 contest? I can't believe I missed out on this for the past two months! Okay, I left out the horseradish because I'm not a fan of the stuff, and I left out the Parmesan cheese because I don't mix chicken and cheese for religious reasons. Aside from that, I didn't change a thing except to add more pine nuts. You can never have enough pine nut, in my opinion! Thanks Dorothy, I loved it!
- 0.5 (371 g) box whole wheat penne
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut in strips
- 1 tablespoon hot creamed horseradish
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce, roasted garlic flavour
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded, divided
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, al dente, adding olive oil to cooking water.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Combine ground chicken, cumin, salt and pepper until well mixed.
- In a non stick frypan, scramble fry chicken mixture, until no longer pink and cooked through.
- Remove from pan to drain on paper towel.
- Drain any fat from pan and wipe out with a paper towel.
- Return chicken mixture to frypan, add red pepper strips, horseradish, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place penne pasta in warmed pasta bowl, pour tomato/chicken mixture over, gently mix together.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts over pasta mixture.
- Serve immediately.