Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Made in the microwave. Great for the hot days when you don't want to turn on your stove!
Make and share this Quick Penne & Butternut Squash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 lb butternut squash or 1 lb acorn squash, peeled & seeded
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham or 1⁄2 cup smoked turkey breast, diced
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Mix together the oil, garlic and bread crumbs and spread on a large plate. Cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes on HIGH power. Stir every minute until crisp and beginning to brown; set aside.
- Dice the squash. Place in a large bowl with half of the water. Cover and cook on HIGH for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally; leave to stand for 2 minutes.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl. Add a little salt and pour boiling water to cover by 1 inch over. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes, stirring once, until the pasta is just tender, but still firm to the bite. Leave to stand, covered, for 1 minute before draining. (Feel free to sub dry pasta and cook it traditionally).
- Place the butter and onion in a large bowl. Cover and cook on HIGH power for 3 minutes.
- Coarsley mash the squash. Add to the onion with the pasta, ham, cream, cheese, parsley and remaining water; season generously to taste and mix well. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 minutes until heated through.
- Serve the pasta sprinkled with the crisp garlic crumbs.