Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 mins
In place of peaches, use any of your favourite fruits for this quick and easy morning blast of nutrition. Add just enough honey or maple syrup for your preferred sweetness. Quinoa flakes can be found in most health food stores and organic supermarkets like Whole Foods. They look like oatmeal, but are made from Quinoa, and as a result, have the protein, complex carbs, and everything else that makes Quinoa a nutritional powerhouse! From Quinoa 365.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup almond milk or 1 cup rice milk
- 2 teaspoons honey or 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup peach, fresh, diced
- Combine the quinoa flakes, milk, honey or maple syrup, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring frequently. The quinoa flakes will cook in about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peaches. Serve immediately.
Sorry Katzen. Unfortunately, none of us liked this one (DH, son and I). The texture was much like wallpaper paste, and the colour was unappealing as well. The taste was bland - might have tasted better with maple syrup instead of honey. Lesson learned: I'll stick with quinoa seed for my breakfast cereal from now on!
This is a good, healthy breakfast. I have cooked quinoa before but this was my first time to use quinoa flakes. The flakes do result in a mushier texture like cream of wheat or oatmeal. I did enjoy the flavor of the peaches, cinnamon and maple syrup. Made for PRMR tag.